Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Hello Oliver

We welcomed Oliver William to the world on Monday, September 15 at 4:30 AM. He was 8lb 4oz, 21 inches long, and he was born with a full head of hair.
Mom and Oliver saying their first hellos
Checking out the world

Oliver's Birth Story

Oliver was due September 10th, and we were starting to wonder how and when he would make his appearance. Would this baby ever come? Would he come fast like his brother, or would I have a more "normal" labor (if there is such a thing)? Here's how it all went down...

I went to bed on Sunday evening and woke up at 1 AM to a small amount of my water breaking. At 1:15 AM some light contractions started, and I started timing them to see if this was the real deal. Around 2:30 I called my midwife and was cleared to come into the childbirth center. Eric's Dad was visiting for the weekend, so he was able to stay with Isaac as we shuffled off to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital around 3 AM and contractions were picking up. I settled into the room and was checked -- 5 cm and fully effaced. We called parents to let them know this was indeed the "real deal." Not wanting to miss my pain management "window," I asked for an epidural right away. However, nature once again had other plans for this delivery. As I was completing the administrative check-in process, contractions were intensifying fast. At 4:20 AM and out of now where (it seemed), I felt the need to push. I was surprised when the nurse said - "baby is coming now!" As with Isaac, there was no time for an epidural...

After 10 minutes of pushing a la natural, Oliver was born at 4:30 AM... just over three hours from the first contraction.

Labor was intense but positive, and we were so happy to welcome a healthy, baby boy. Eric and the clinical staff were excellent support, as my body was moving a lot faster through labor than my mind. A few hours after he was born I was still in shock about how fast he came. As the nurse accurately said, "he blasted out!"

Oliver's First Few Days

We arrived home on Tuesday and have spent the past few days getting to know Ollie, introducing him to family and friends, sleeping when we can, supporting Isaac in this transition, and settling in to a new normal.

Isaac has been a fantastic big brother and seems very excited to have a baby brother.

Here's a few more photos of Ollie from the past few days.

Brotherly Love
Meeting Isaac & Grandma Jabbusch (I imagine I was retelling the birth story here...)
Merhar Guys
Big Boy
Meeting Grandpa Jabbusch
Meeting Grandma Merhar
Coming home from the hospital
Meeting Aunt Lisa 
Spending a little more time awake...
But sleeping an awful lot....


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...